Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Make Your ♥ Melt Monday

Due to a major case of the lazies last night, I wasn't able to get a Monday post out. But no worries, here's one now. I have to say, I'm deeply saddened by the fact that HHS is getting so many returned animals lately. They're obviously not getting a fair shot at their new home. It's like coming home with a newborn baby... you can't return it the first time it keeps you up at night or has an accident. Do people not realize how traumatic it must be for these dogs to go from a home/out on the streets to a small kennel to a new home? The husky, Balto, was adopted and returned less than 24 hours later. What kind of a chance is that? Dogs love you unconditionally... is it so unrealistic to return the favor?

Mlive article on HHS

Luckily, last night wasn't as bad as last week's visit. Honey, the paper-thin chihuahua is still there, but looking a smidge better. They've been monitoring her weight very closely. Plus, a co-worker of mine is visiting Honey today and may potentially adopt her! Yay! Tulsa was adopted sometime last week as well. Good thing, because if I had to look at her big, sad eyes one more day, she would be coming home with me. Still lots of chihuahuas and two huskies there. :( There's also a entire kennel full of 8 hound/shepherd mix puppies. Teeny little puppies who all just stop and stare at you with big sad eyes when you walk by. Ahh! Cute overload!

I was extremely grateful for all the volunteers who were there yesterday. Usually Monday nights are pretty quiet with maybe 1 other volunteer there. Makes me feel really guilty for leaving at the end of the night knowing that I couldn't get to every dog. There were so many people there last night getting the dogs taken care of that we all went home early. It was so great. I got to leave knowing every animal had a clean cage and a chance to burn off some energy outside. Great night.

Allie is a female Husky mix.

Bishop is a male Pit Bull Terrier mix.

Chevy is a male Shepherd mix.

Shirley is a female Jack Russell Terrier.

Tanga is a female Labrador Retriever mix.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...Allie looks a lot like my dog: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lorilea/2317864076/in/set-1360460

    I have no patience for people who don't take pet ownership seriously. Although I'm sure there might be a case here or there where a dog could be aggressive in some way. But it's a transition to bring a pet into your family and you have to work at it. My neighbor got his wife a Labrador and she took it back because she wanted a smaller dog. How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea you're doing such a great job. The animals are lucky to have you around every Monday taking care of them. Love ya :) Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, wow! They do look a lot alike! What breed is your dog? I definitely agree there are situations when an animal needs to be returned because of aggression or what not, but for the most part, it's just sad. :(

    Thanks Shelby. :) Can't wait to see you guys this weekend, love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea...she's a husky/German shepherd mix. She's a sweetie. And we did get her from a shelter. Love her tons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover