Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Make Your ♥ Melt Monday

I know, I know... it's Tuesday. I was planning on writing my usual Monday post after I was done at the Humane Society last night. Well, let's just say there was much sadness last night. The number of abused, half-starved dogs I came across was just too much for me to handle yesterday. There was a Chihuahua that saying she was "skin and bones" would be an understatement. Watching her try to stand up was like watching a newborn horse trying to stand for the first time... legs wobbling and unsure if they can support the weight of the body.

I have a particular soft spot for Huskies and Chihuahuas for obvious reasons and there were so many of them there last night. Balto is a Husky that was adopted and returned less than 24 hours later. So he's back and giving me those big sad eyes. There's a Pit Bull mix named Tesla who refuses to run and play... she just presses up against my leg shaking and crying. While I was outside in the pens with the dogs, there was a beautiful Lab who sat at his gate with a toy in his mouth just crying non stop for the 2 hours I was there.

See? Much sadness. Usually I can somewhat "handle" what I see at HHS week after week. However, there was just something about yesterday that made me lose it. I think a lot of it was there were soooo many scared dogs. Most of the time, the dogs are jumping against the gates, barking, making a scene. Yesterday, like 3/4 of the dogs were pressed in the back corner of their cage... shaking... crying... making me sad.

So my featured furry kids of the week are all of them. If you're thinking of getting a pet, please look into rescuing. Every breed, size and age can be found in a shelter somewhere close to you. These animals need a home. Please don't give up on them.
Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover