Sunday, November 25, 2012

DIY: How to paint perfect wall stripes

I desperately wanted striped walls in my nursery, but my OCD had to make sure they were done right. No baby wants a twitchy mommy every time we walk into a room with crooked lines on the walls. So I'm going to share with you a compiled list of dos and do nots that I found while reading countless other tutorials.


Paint your base color. Make sure you leave plenty of time for it to cure. This is a process that should not be rushed.


You're going to want both a tape measure and laser level. Unfortunately, there's no rocket science to this part, but you need to summon your inner obsessive compulsive and do not half-ass this step. Figure out roughly how tall you want your stripes, then divide the height of your wall by that number and round to the nearest whole number. Refigure your stripe height to ensure all the stripes will be the same.

Using your laser level and tape measure, start measuring, marking, re-measuring, adjusting, re-measuring and double triple checking your points. Again, you will be sorry if your lines are not level. Do not rush this step.

USE FROG TAPE. Do not skimp and buy the 3M or generic brand. I have used both and it is an unbelievable difference when it comes to paint seeping under the tape. I will repeat, use Frog Tape!! Be sure to also put the tape on the inside or outside of your mark depending on which area needs to be painted.


Use tape or some way to indicate which stripes don't need to be painted so you don't accidentally start painting the wrong area.


Here's the biggest tip I can offer. On the day you're planning on painting, take the original base color and paint a strip (an inch or so tall) half across the tape and half into the area you're going to be painting the new color. This helps seal the tape down and IF there's any seepage, it's going to be the base color seeping onto the base color. No big deal. Read the paint can and let dry for the hour or whatever it says before you begin painting your new color.

You want to do this step right before you paint the new color so that it doesn't have time to cure and you risk peeling or chipping the paint. Minimal drying time is all you'll need before you can paint over it.



Go ahead and paint your new stripe color. You're going to want to get all the necessary coats in on one day. Let the first coat dry for however long the paint can indicates and then get your second coat on right away. This is for the same reason as above... you're not going to want to risk cracking or peeling if the paint sits too long on top of the tape. Remove the tape SLOWLY at an angle as soon as you're done with your last coat.



We were extremely surprised with how clean the lines turned out. We only did two walls in a pretty tiny room and it was fairly time consuming. Measuring and taping took roughly 2-3 hours and painting two coats (with dry time) took most of the day. It's so worth it though. I absolutely LOVE how the nursery turned out. Check out my nursery reveal post to see how it all came together!


18 comments:

  1. WOW! This is so cool!! Can you come over and paint some for me? LOL.....I am visiting your blog for the 1st time. It's great ! I hope you stop by and link sometime- http://atozebracelebrations.com/2013/02/link-party-8.html
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy! I'll send my mom over since she's the amazing painter! I just stick to trim. :) Thanks for visiting and I'm all linked up over at your link party!

      Delete
  2. These are great walls! Love the color combo. I have it in my master bathroom. So adorable!!! Great inspiration for me :)


    Mandy@ The Hankful House Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too... allows to change up the accent color and overall look of the room so easily! Thanks for swinging by my blog!

      Delete
  3. The walls look fantastic! You can't go wrong with gray and white. :)

    I am your newest "current stalker". I would love for you to follow back at toddlindsey.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! You most certainly can't... goes with everything. :) Thanks for following and will definitely follow you back.

      Delete
  4. You did a beautiful job! I have been wanting to paint stripes in my boys closet reading nook, but have been scared to do it! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    Visiting from The Frugal Girls.

    ~Emily

    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I say go for it... stripes are so much fun. Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete
  5. I love the stripes! I was thinking about doing this in my bathroom. It's already gray and I'm trying to lighten it up a bit... Thanks for the tutorial;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your stripes! I am doing my baby's nursery with just a few stripes and I know how tedious it is. I love Frogtape and have tried that trick-can you believe it let me get perfectly straight lines even on textured walls? it's great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's looks great! I'm planning to paint some stripes soon and will definitely be following your tips. Thanks for compiling these!

    Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pinned this - thanks for the awesome tips. I found you from Malia Karlinsky from Yesterday on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your nursery looks amazing! I loved your comment about a "twitchy mommy"! No baby deserves that! :) Thanks for all the great tips. Love this look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was only able to do one wall like this. Yours turned out great!

    I found your website from Southern Lovely. I just started a new blog and I would love for you to follow me, too! http://naptimenothings.blogspot.com/

    Looking forward to more posts!
    Sarah@
    Naptime Nothings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this! I've been wanting to do a striped wall but have been too afraid! I love the gray you used too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Therena for stopping by! I was super nervous at first too, but it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be and I LOVE the results. Good luck!! :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover