Sunday, March 11, 2012

DIY: Michigan string canvas



Depending on your canvas size (I used 8x10), print out an outline of your desired state. I love my Mitten and placed the heart over Holland... were I currently live. Sorry upper peninsula... you didn't make the cut. Tape the printout securely over the canvas.


God bless West Michigan.


Start pushing/hammering your nails around the outline in consistent intervals. Until you hit the wooden frame around the edge of the canvas, the nails push in very easily by hand. You'll have to hammer in the rest.


Carefully remove the printout without pulling out the nails. 


I was originally planning on just wrapping the string around the nails. However, I didn't think things through and used nails with tiny to non-existent heads on them. Awesome. This was how I remedied things. I removed the nails that weren't nailed into the wooden frame. Using a needle and thread, I "sewed" the string in a random order through the existing holes. If you go through a hole, come up through the one right next to it to fully utilize your string and not have a mess on the back.

For the nails that were already permanently in there, I carefully wrapped the string around it tightly several times. Regardless if you thread the string through the hole or around the nail, keep the string taut.... or you will be sorry.


So you don't lose your mind, do not anticipate using one long piece of string. You will die. Your mind will turn to mush and I guarantee you'll throw the canvas against the wall. I used many many pieces and just taped the ends on the back. 

28 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Now i want to do one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat a neat project! Thanks for sharing at our Uncommonly Yours link party! Have a great week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh my goodness..... you had me at Michigan! I LOVE LOVE LOVEEEE this project. Like Crazy LOVE! I need to make 3 of these NOW. SO so clever! Ohhh man am I thrilled that you linked up over at my place! I consider Michigan my second home, in fact I just drove through your Holland tulip-ville last week! :o) oooohhh I love the mitten and I love your project! Thank you for linking up!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, glad you like it! I'm am so pleased with how it turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! May have a string Texas on my walls very shortly :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is GREAT! I love it LOTS! And I'm featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic! I grew up in West Michigan too, the Ludington area. Love the heart. I found this post at Crafty, Scrappy Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't quite tell if you left out nails (my eyes are old!), but in that shot in the middle, I love how it looks sans nails! Either way, it looks {AWESOME}!!!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I've only been to Michigan 1 time, when I was 12. First time I saw snow and I will never forget it. Would love to visit again sometime. Thanks for linking at SweetTalkin' Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this!! I'm from southeast MI, but we do go to South Haven and Harbor Springs/Petoskey every year with a side trip to Ludington/Holland sometimes!! maybe i'll see ya this summer:). I would love to make one of these! so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While this is quite neat, I am very upset that, as usual, the Upper Peninsula is ignored as being a part of the state of Michigan. Michigan is two parts, an Upper AND Lower Peninsula. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but we Yoopers DO exist and are mighty proud to be part of the state--even if the Lower Peninsula wants to pretend we aren't here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can not call it Michigan, you can call it lower Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Andrea! I love it. And you can call it whatever you want :) That's the beauty of creativity - there are no rules!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being from Holland too, I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess I'll have to make the Upper, just to complete the project! Love it - Thank you for sharing.
    ~Amy @ Permanent Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't like this more if I tried! I'm featuring you tomorrow. :) I was one of the gingersnapcrafts co-hosts...and I'm definitely pinning it.
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cool. I am featuring you on Tickled pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature Holly! Love your blog. Grabbin' a button now. :)

      Delete
  18. This is so cool! I so want to make one now...lol Thanks for sharing this. Nice job! I live in Jackson Michigan and looking to move to the Grand Rapids area in about a year.

    BTW I came from the Daisy Cottage Design Off The Hook party!

    Feel free to stop on by!
    Joanne @ Creative Mess
    jmacreativemess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for swinging by Joanne! You'll love Grand Rapids... such a wonderful city. Good luck!

      Delete
  19. Always glad to meet a fellow Michigander! Holland is beautiful, the downtown is so lovely come tulip time. We hope to get back to it this year, if the tulip timing is right. Thank you for sharing your project with us at A Crafty Soiree, I've featured yours in this week's! I hope you'll stop by to see it and share more of your crafty goodness with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing this project! I'm doing an "Iowa" gallery in my dining room and this map art would be a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! What a clever idea, and I am from MI too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great!! Fabulous job :).

    - Chaney (came over from If It's Not Baroque)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am featuring your state string canvas on my blog today. Thanks for linking it up. The next party starts later today, I hope that you will link up again. http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. how fun! I love that you had to make adjustments as you went, but the final product looks great! Emily @ Nap-Time Creations

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover