Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY: Homemade Tub Cleaner/Mold Remover

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but before yesterday, my bathtub/shower unit was gross. Like super gross. Don't get me wrong, I cleaned it every week with the rest of my house, but apparently I hadn't found a cleaner that would reeeeeally remove all the soap grime, mold remnants and all around grossness. Thanks Pinterest for another "duh, why didn't I think of that" moment and home remedy. All you need are the two products no household pantry should every be without: distilled white vinegar and baking soda.



Fill up an empty spray bottle with vinegar. Don't dilute! Spray down your tub/shower and wait a few minutes so it has time to work it's magic. Meanwhile, go find a good and sturdy scrub brush or two and a box of baking soda. Probably should wear a mask too... the vinegar is a bit potent. Sprinkle pour the baking soda in the tub and start scrubbing. Don't be stingy when it comes to the baking soda... or the vinegar for that matter. Both are super cheap and work wonders together.

Keep scrubbing.

Some more.

Rinse everything down when you think you've got it all done. Realize you don't. Repeat process.

Cleaning my entire tub/shower unit took me almost an hour and a half. So this is not a super quick 5 minute process. I am super excited this worked though! I was getting to the point that I was considering purchasing a whole new unit because I was afraid to take a bath. Plus I didn't want to put my future babes in a dirty tub. A $3.78 baking soda/vinegar fix trumps a $500+ purchase any day!

Shameful.

Making progress...

Victory!

I also had another Pinterest epiphany and am hoping this will prevent me from frequent heaving duty scrubbings. Fill one of those dish scrubber things that hold soap in the handle with a 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and Dawn dish soap. I hung mine off my shower caddy and supposedly if you use it to give your shower a lick and a promise every few times you're in there, you won't need to do anymore/as many heavy duty cleanings.




Go forth, be clean.

12 comments:

  1. I need to do this as well! Thanks for the tips:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking for an effective mold remover can be a nightmare! Most of us are so stressed out having discovered a problem with disgusting mold or mildew growing in our home that we purchase ANY mold remover which says it will kill and clean the mold quickly and effectively.

    www.moldinspectioncalgary.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been a housekeeping training and baking soda has been the best stain removal on tiles, and tubs. But I have just known that it can also very helpful to remove tough molds on walls. This is really helping and I'll add this idea on my cleaning techniques. Thanks! www.moldremovalinvancouver.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I've recently found your blog and love it. I am also a Michigander and it's nice to read a local blog. Just wanted to give you a shower cleaning tip I discovered through a massive Google search. Our shower was super disgusting - we have very hard water and my hubs is a builder/painter so he is ALWAYS really dirty, so our fiberglass unit takes a major beating. I was also contemplating saving up for a whole new shower when I saw someone suggest the Fume Free Easy Off Oven Cleaner. I was skeptical, but it really worked. Some people might be hesitant due to the chemicals, but I was to the point where I had used The Works and CLR, both of which abused my lungs with their awful fumes, so I figure this was comparable. I will try these suggestions though, going forward. Of course I would love a more natural solution, so maybe if I really keep up on it, I won't need the big guns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s a good combo, Andrea! These two kitchen items, baking soda and vinegar, make a cheap and effective cleaning solution. This is popular, actually. I’m glad, though, you wouldn’t have to use your solution for mold in your house. Although it could be a good prevention, it’s still better to have no fungi presence within your premise, right?

    Darryl Iorio

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant post,with your share we can save money for buying products instead just find ingredients that can used as alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Andrea! For me, alternative cleaners are the best because they promote green living. I don’t really prefer bleach even if it is a fast and proven effective mold cleaner. Yeah, it kills molds but it also damages everything on its way. Go for less toxic options such as baking soda and vinegar. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was definitely not a pretty sight! But job well done on mold removal and tub cleaning! Now you can enjoy your bath without worrying about those icky and disgusting molds. And I must say that the tub looks immaculate after your rigorous cleaning. And I think it is a must for homeowners to keep their place mold and mildew free. Not only will it make your house look tidy and clean, you are also protecting your family from the health risks caused by molds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. J am going to try this now! My shower is gross...(even shamed to admit). I have family coming in next weekend, and as of right now i am embarrased to ask them to shower in there.. Wish me luck. I hope this works! Thanks for your cleaning pointers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I cleaned my grout with a homemade cleaner, but my actual tub could use a bit of help!

    I featured this on my blog today! You can check it and grab a Featured button here: http://practicallyfunctional.net/2013/02/the-fun-in-functional-link-party-39/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will definitely try this - keep both ingredients on hand all the time anyway for other cleaning projects!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover