Monday, March 26, 2012

DIY: Make Your Own Swiffer Pads

If you own a fleece shirt or jacket AND own a pet, you know that these fierce enemies never play nice. Fleece sweatshirts, blankets and shirts are no match for my fur ball of a dog even after washing and drying. With this frustration in mind, I thought, why not use it to my advantage? A cloth that attracts any dog hair within a 10 foot radius? Sounds like a Swiffer solution to me.

I purchased an old fleece blanket from a thrift store (that supports a local animal shelter, naturally) for around $2. From one blanket, I could get eight approximately 10"x10" squares. I was going to hem up the edges, but who cares!? Not my dirty floor.

I actually think these work better than the actual Swiffer pads. They glide along my floor a lot nicer and pick up the smaller sand particles better. When I'm all done, the large clump of dust and dog hair peels right off to be thrown away. The rest goes into the washing machine and comes out perfectly clean.

Go ahead, try it.






7 comments:

  1. great idea!
    my daughter and son in love are moving soon and they just had tile laid throughout their new house...these would make a sweet house warming gift!
    Yeppers! I like it.

    --I'll be searching the racks at the thrift store.
    via PEEPS party ~Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing idea!! We have 1200 square feet of hardwood on the main level of the house... combined with a cat and 2 kids. Floors get cleaned ALL THE TIME!!!

    Thanks!

    http://lifewithleahy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. Somedays I swear the Swiffer never even gets put away. LoL! Thanks for swinging by my blog!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful, money-saving idea! I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.
    http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-9/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, thanks for swinging by! You have a great blog and I'm all linked up at your link party!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I go through a lot of those pads, thinking your experiment will save me some $$ and less waste. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover