Saturday, November 26, 2011

DIY: Sparkly painted wine bottles

I created this DIY project based on two different ideas I saw on Pinterest. One involved a vase, rubber bands and spray paint while the other was bottles, spray paint and epsom salts. I have mixed feelings on how it turned out, but thought I'd pass it along just in case anyone wanted to give it a try.


The two original projects I combined into one.



I chose clear wine bottles, but any sort of vase/bottle/glass container should work the same. Wrap them with multiple thick rubber bands. Make sure the bands are snug and don't pucker in any spots. Warning: some of mine were at stretched pretty far at an extreme angle and decided to slip during the painting stage. Be gentle.



Next step is to spray paint them white. Any color will work, but if the epsom salts don't cover evenly, you'll really be able to tell if your paint doesn't match the salt. I ended up with multiple coats for even coverage.



With the rubber bands still on, cover the entire bottle with spray adhesive. Hold the bottle over a bowl and sprinkle the salts on. Rolling the container in the salts may cause your rubber bands to slip.



Let everything dry completely before removing the rubber bands. Cutting the bands with an xacto knife worked out better than trying to get a pair of scissors underneath and risk scraping off the salts.



Last step is to spray everything with a clear protective coating. This helps hold any rogue epsom salts on the bottle and gives it a little bit of shine. Garnish if necessary.


Looking back, I wish I had cut the bottoms off of the bottles first. I think they would look cooler with lights or a candle inside. I didn't think about this until after I had already spray painted them. Oh well. Just something to think about... 

3 comments:

  1. this is really a fabulous idea.. instead of a rubber band, what about a tape? it's more stable..
    I bookmarked this for future use :-)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I have a few vases waiting to be spray painted, I just might have to use tape instead. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so in love with how this turned out. I love your idea of spray painting in a box, no more mess! Not to mention this would look great in my mini bar area. Thanks for sharing.

    -Jazmine
    keepitkrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover