Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tis the season of Lent

Lent: the time of year when non-Catholics insult your beliefs and try to tell you that giving up chocolate is hardly equivalent to Jesus fasting in the desert and dying for our sins. Well, no shit poop. I love how Lent brings out the best in the people who do not share the same beliefs as me. I don't believe in shoving my religion down your throat, so please don't feel that you have the right to tell me that what I'm doing for Lent is wrong. Besides, when's the last time you've practiced any religion or stepped foot in a church?

Sorry, Lent stirs up a little bit of anger and resentment. A couple years ago, I had someone come up to me after the Ash Wednesday mass, shove his finger in my face and say, "Do you know what I think about that? (the ashes) F@#%ing stupid." Yeah. Peace be with you too buddy. Such haters.

:End rant:

In year's past, I've given up sweets... and by sweets I mean cookies, candy, cakes, brownies, pies... ya know, baked goods. I've decided to change it up a bit this year for two reasons: 1) Giving up those things has gotten easier for me over the years, and 2) I'm trying desperately to make a lifestyle change where I'm eating healthier anyways. For Lent this year, I've decided to [try really hard to] give up swearing. I have a mouth like a trucker and sometimes it gets me in trouble... especially around little sponge kids who are taking in everything I say. Oops.

So... if you happen to hear me swear, probably just punch me in the face. It's going to take that kind of reminder to get me through this season. Wish me luck!

What have you decided to give up for Lent?

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Andrea, as a fellow Catholic I feel exactly the same way! Last year I remember reading so many blog Posts from people making fun of people who gave up things like snaking, chocolate, or whatever. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to get in an hour of guitar practice at least 5 days a week. Instead of giving something up I'm taking something on that I believe God can use in a positive way in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is absolutely nothing worse than someone who does not respect your beliefs, even if they do not share them.

    Don't worry about those haters... this is between you and God. Not them.

    <3
    Sarah
    http://nobodyputssarahinthecorner.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover