Monday, February 28, 2011

Make Your ♥ Melt Monday

Although I've never cared for volunteer work (after spending way too much time in assisted living centers to meet school community service requirements), I felt a strong need around Christmas time to devote my time and energy towards a greater cause. Immediately I decided that as a New Year's resolution/life change, I would start volunteering at the West Ottawa Harbor Humane Society. Animals, especially dogs, pull on my heartstrings more so than any other cause (environmental issues falls in second place).

When my family adopted Zayla a little over a year ago, we visited the Muskegon animal shelter almost every night for over a week. Yes, I cried every time I went there. It absolutely breaks my heart to see those dogs crammed in tiny, dirty spaces with little food and absolutely no love. It's a good thing dogs are such resilient creatures because how you could not give up hope on the human race after being abused, neglected and/or given away like a disposable item is beyond me. Breaks my heart over and over again. 

I've been at HHS almost two months now and I have the opportunity to interact with such incredible animals every Monday night. With that said, I'm dedicating my Monday post to the furry kids that bring such happiness and fulfillment to my life. Yes, it's terribly depressing to be there, especially knowing the animals can be euthanized at any time. However, I go in there every week with the attitude that if I'm the last person they ever interact with, I want them to know that they're loved unconditionally.

Below are this week's featured furry kids:  

Cheetoh is a male Chihuahua.

Kerri is a female Rat Terrier.

Chico is a male Dachshund/Chihuahua mix.

Yankee is a young male Pit Bull/Terrier mix.
Are you looking for a dog or cat? If you'd like to let me know what breed/size of animal you're interested in, I'd be more than happy to take a look through HHS or keep my eye out for new ones coming in. Anything to find these animals a loving home. If it's not the right time for you to have a pet but are still interested in helping out in a less timely, but still very important manner, here is a list of supplies the HHS needs on a constant basis. 

Well, I could talk about the furry kids all day, but I'll stop my rambling here. Please please please let me know if there's anything I can do to help your pet search efforts and feel free to send this link to others who may be looking. Thanks loves! xoxo   
Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover