Sunday, January 22, 2012

Green Goo Smoothie recipe

Disclaimer: I do NOT like vegetables and I do NOT like healthy shakes/smoothies regardless of what you put in them. Unless a smoothie has ice cream and chocolate sauce swirling around in my blender, no thanks. Hoooooooowever.... I was feeling a bit ambitious and decided to try this spinach, peanut butter, banana and yogurt smoothie recipe I found online.

Aaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzing!

No joke! It tastes like bananas and peanut butter... that's it! Definitely my new lunch replacement drink. (Sorry Slim Fast.) I just couldn't get over how good it was! I only eat spinach occasionally on my salad, so the thought of liquid spinach grossed me out.

>Insert rant about spinach health benefits here:<

  • One cup has 20% of the daily recommended fiber, which aids in digestion, keeps you nice and regular, maintains low blood sugar and curbs overeating 
  • Contains flavonoids which have been shown to significantly protect against the occurance of certain types of aggressive cancers
  • The vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium present in spinach all serve as powerful antioxidants that combat the onset of osteoporosis, atherosclerosis and high blood pressure
  • Contains the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin that protects the eyes from cataracts and age-related macular degeneration
  • The high amount of vitamin A in spinach also promotes healthy skin by allowing for proper moisture retention in the epidermis, thus fighting psoriasis, keratinization, acne and even wrinkles
...among other things.

Go ahead, give it a try. Even you picky eaters out there....





INGREDIENTS
  • 1 frozen sliced banana
  • 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
  • 1/2 C. 0% Vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt
  • 1 C. unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze 
  • (or other kind of milk)
  • 4 C. baby spinach (more or less)

INSTRUCTIONS
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend/liquify until smooth.

Nutritional stats (approx): 350 calories, 10g fiber, 21g protein

1 comment:

  1. Love smoothies! I have them all the time for breakfast, I still yet have to blog about mine. I use spinach, apples, blueberries, banana and yogurt..I also add in my Raw Super Green Foods! it's sooo good and healthy!! I'd love it if you stopped by my blog, visiting from 33 shades of green

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover