Tuesday, October 2, 2012

True Life: I'm a pregnant fatty

My 32-week OB appointment was a sad one today. No, baby is fine... actually measuring at 34 weeks and is finally positioned with its head down. My doctor gave me the "you're a fatty and not in a good way" lecture. Yes, I know I make it sound like I go home and binge on a bag of Oreos on a nightly basis, but in actuality, it's not like that at all. I've eaten more fruit and veggies during my pregnancy than I ever have before, increased my protein intake, cut back (most of the time) on my sweets, etc. Plus being someone who has always had to watch her weight, I'm already drinking the skim milks, buying the low- and non-fat whatever, opting for chicken and venison over the red meats, very rarely eating out... I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

So talk about feeling like a failure after my fatty conversation with the OB. My stomach is growling and I'm afraid to approach the refrigerator to get dinner going. I mean, really, what the hell am I suppose to eat?! Yes, I realize maintaining a healthy pregnancy weight is important for the baby... but so is making sure I get in my folic acids, protein, etc. Where do you draw the line? And I'm honestly a little shocked that I've gained the weight I have. Other than my belly, I don't feel like the rest of me looks too different. Go ahead and tell me I'm full of shit I guess... my OB didn't seem to sugar coat it.

I want to know too, how to get in a decent workout when I can't seem to walk more than 10 minutes without having to pee. I think I need a catheter... or Depends... or maybe just wet myself because that's about how awesome I feel right now. It doesn't help that my dog is the world's worse walker ever. Zora, watching you stop and sniff EVERYTHING isn't doing much for me or my waistline.

Alright fellow moms and moms-to-be... what are some meal ideas or resources I can refer to? I need mainly dinner ideas that are low-fat/low-calorie but still packing the pregnancy essentials... but I'm a picky eater, so beware. Gah.  :(

Sad sad day for this fatty...



2 comments:

  1. My advice is to keep doing what you are doing. Sounds like you are doing a great job. F your ob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! My midwife told me a few weeks ago to eat a less simple sugars and eat more protein. It made me feel a little depressed for a few days, but I knew that she was right. If you feel that what you're doing is the best that you can do then that's all that you can do!

      But here's a dinner idea just for fun:

      Mexican Skillet
      1 cup of vegetable broth (or chicken) in a large skillet or wok, bring to a boil. Add 1 cup of orzo. Or cook 1 cup of rice in broth instead of water. Add one can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of black or pinto beans, 2 cups of vegetables (I use a mix of frozen peas, carrots & corn), half cup of salsa. Add some spices, cumin, chili powder, red pepper, pepper. Cook for 15 minutes or so until everything is hot. You can add chicken if you'd like. Top with cheese, sour cream & crushed up tortilla chips.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my blog! Follow me on Twitter at @aarch5!

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover