Sunday, December 22, 2013

DIY: Freebie Dresser Turned Entertainment Center

I've been on the lookout for the ideal TV stand for quite awhile. I needed it to be sturdy against little baby hands and hide/secure all my movies and super old Nintendo and Playstation games so Lil Man didn't throw 'em around the basement. Of course, Pinterest spoke to me and told me to scour Craigslist for a cool DIY idea. 

I found this dresser on Craigslist for free. Woot! However, the previous owner left it out in a ditch on the side of the road for a couple days. So on my lunch break, I ran out to the middle of nowhere and lifted this beast into the back of my Durango by myself. Got it home and carried it down the basement steps... by myself. Yeah, this damn free dresser was going to give me a hernia, no doubt. 



Other than the couple bucks I spent on some quarter round, this project was entirely free. I used the leftover white and grey paint from Brody's nursery, reused the original hardware (just added some silver spray paint) and the quarter round was used to clean up a rough edge. 

The top two drawers were removed to accommodate my DVD and VCR (yes, I still have one of those.) I'm still looking for a basket that'll fit in that space to hold the remotes and whatnot, but in the meantime... 



I was very glad that some ammonia and lots of scrubbing did wonders for this dresser. It was in rough shape and because it was laminate, sanding wasn't an option. The original owner also left the bottom two drawers filled with family photos. When I contacted him in order to give them back, he told me to throw them out. Omg. As a picture hoarder, I felt I was committing some sort of crime! Gah. 

Overall, I'm super excited about how this turned out! 


Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover