Monday, September 24, 2012

Blender mush... it's a texture thing.

I have texture issues. Like bad. Especially when it comes to fruit. Pears, peaches, applesauce, mushy berries... may as well be rollin' slime around in my mouth until I gag. So I've basically lived my whole life on a minimal fruit diet. Well, that doesn't fly when you're in charge of growing a tiny human.

I've never been a smoothie person before and until I became pregnant, never touched my blender. I am now, however, a smoothie fanatic! I've learned that you can't have texture issues when everything has just about the same consistency after a swim in the blender. So I figured I'd share with you some of my favorite smoothies I've been downing since becoming pregnant. Enjoy.  :)



Tropical Blend I
1 1/2 C. orange juice
1 T. lime juice
1 C. strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1 - 1 1/2 bananas
Ice

Tropical Blend II
1 1/2 C. orange juice
1 - 2 bananas
1 1/2 C. peaches (fresh or frozen)
Ice

Pina Colada
1 C. pineapple chunks (canned or fresh)
1 C. coconut milk
1 banana
1/4 C. ice
2 t. honey, optional

Green Monster
1 frozen sliced banana
1 T. reduced fat peanut butter
1/2 C. vanilla greek yogurt
1 C. unsweetened vanilla almond breeze or skim milk
4 C. baby spinach

Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake (Weight Watchers)
1 3/4 C. fat free chocolate milk
1 T. cocoa
1 1/2 T. sugar
1 1/2 T. reduced fat peanut butter
1 1/4 C. ice
2 bananas, optional

*Yields 2 servings - 2 points per serving (excluding bananas)


Lil Arch definitely isn't going without an adequate amount of potassium. I think I buy bananas every 3-4 days. I love the fruit smoothies in the afternoon... especially when it was such a warm summer. The chocolate peanut butter shake is a perfect alternative to my beloved Oreos in the evening when I need a chocolate fix. Plus I feel so much better getting the fruit, protein and dairy intake rather than bingeing on desserts.

A word to the wise... the green monster requires you to immediately rinse out/wash your glass after finishing up. I've left the remnants of the smoothie in a Nalgene bottle for the afternoon and it may as well be the organic version of gorilla glue. We're talking wallpaper paste-like consistency and I don't know about you, but I don't have dainty lil Bambi hands that can fit inside a water bottle for a good cleaning. Just sayin'... 

Related Posts
Pin It button on image hover